Sunday, October 9, 2011

Happy Halloween (early)


I'm a pastor but I've never seen the sense in the anti-Halloween sentiment that you find in some churches. Children dressing up as ghosts and witches is innocent fun (besides, these days it's more about superheroes and Disney princesses than spooky creatures).

Like anything else, Halloween can be made into what we want it to be. It can be just another excuse for a party, or it can be a time to have some quality time with the kids, or you can even find a lesson in it.

Here's something a parishioner pased on to me that I used in church today. I carved a pumpkin as an illustration. (Man, it's been too many years since I did that.)

THE JACK O'LANTERN PRAYER

"Pumpkin Prayer"

{cut off top of pumpkin}
Lord, open my mind so I can learn new things about you.

{remove innards}
Remove the things in my life that don’t please you.
Forgive the wrong things I do and help me to forgive others.

{cut open eyes}
Open my eyes to see the beauty you’ve made in the world around me.

{cut out nose}
I’m sorry for the times I’ve turned my nose at the good food you provide.

{cut out mouth}
Let everything I say please You.

{light the candle}
Lord, help me show your light to others through the things I do. Amen

By: Liz Curtis Higgs

No comments:

Post a Comment