Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Bully Pulpit

I stole my title from Stephen Colbert this week because it kind of says it all.

In an attempt to protect kids from being bullied in public schools, the Michigan legislature has enacted an anti-bullying measure. Michigan Republicans, however have added language to the bill allowing bullying on religious and moral grounds.

Colbert says it better than I can.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
The Word - Bully Pulpit
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive


I hope it's obvious to everyone without me having to say it just how un-Christian this is. The idea that anyone needs the freedom to physically or even verbally bash another human being to express their religious or moral convictions is absurd. The fact that is it people who call themselves Christians pushing this is deeply offensive to be and about as blasphemous as anything I've ever heard. It shows a tragic lack of understanding of Jesus, who spent his life touching the untouchables, welcoming the outcasts, and standing up for the marginalized.

We have the freedom in the US to express our opinions, even our most hateful and mean-spirited opinions. That's a valuable freedom, but it was not and never should become license to bully.


"My right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

1 comment: